In 2017, Landmarks Illinois placed the McKee House on its list of most endangered places. Fully funded by the Works Progress Administration, Civilian Conservation Corps workers built the facility during the Great Depression, using hand-chiseled limestone brick hauled from Churchill Woods.

An historic stone structure

The McKee House served from 1936 to 1962 as headquarters for DuPage County Forest Preserve District and was home to Robert L. McKee, the District’s first superintendent.

Over the years, the McKee House has fallen into disrepair. The main building needs a new roof; lead paint, asbestos, and mold remediation; ceiling, wall, and flooring repair; and utility updates, including electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. These repairs must be made before The Center at Churchill Woods can open to the public.